Sunday 31st October 1965, Baarlo, Holland, European Championship
Report by Harry Barnes from Stock Car Journal, November 1965

Adrian Kleingeld, who must be about the finest stock car driver that Holland has produced during it's brief association with the sport, was at top of his form on Sunday last for the European Championships. Without a doubt, Adrian, who has raced as much over here as any of the Continental drivers, has been recognised as a force to be contended with by most of our drivers who have raced against him. Unfortunately for him, when he is called upon to race our smaller stockies, he is at an obvious disadvantage and therefore has never really been seen at his best on this side of the water. In Holland however, when racing on his own doorstep, he is the undoubted champion.

The general form of the racing, whilst similar to our own formula II, differs in some respects, and this is the reason why the Continental and our own drivers find things strange when racing away from home. Safety regulations are in no way so stringent as our own, in fact there is no such thing as a safety fence. The track at Baarlo, is at least four times the size of the majority of our own raceways, being something over a mile in circumference. The perimiter of the track is lined with tyres, not bolted together as we have them, simply two tyres laid one upon the other. Behind these is a six inch wooden board on stakes about a foot above the ground. The spectators stand beyond this point and as they were lining the circuit ten or more deep, it can be seen that their position can be precarious to say the least.

In the line up for the big, event, four of our Spedeworth drivers took the grid. Stan Ingle and Trevor Frost for the Great Britain, Eddie Hynes for Ireland, and Jan Scott for Czeckoslovakia. The race was over fifteen laps, and there was a total line up of twelve cars, a small field by any standards, but even more marked owing to the size of the track. There was a draw for grid positions, and Adrian Kleingeld was fortunate to be drawn on the front of the grid. Our own lads were not so fortunate. Unluckiest man was Stan Ingle, who's motor was giving him trouble even before the warming up lap. By the time the race was one lap old Stan was forced to retire when a con rod divorced itself from the engine. Trevor Frost, who was drawn eighth on the grid, seemed to be experiencing some difficulty, and it was noticeable that he was driving for the most part with his head out of the side window. After the race we learned that his windscreen wipers failed to operate when he was on full throttle, as they were of the vaccuum type. This was another advantage to many of the Continentals who had the windscreens removed and were not troubled by the drizzle of rain that was falling. Trevor's class was there for all to see however and he did well under the circumstances to finish the race in third position. This alone was an exceptionally good performance when you consider that when racing on our circuits the Continentals have yet to pick up a point, even in a consolation race.

In the remainder of the racing our lads gave evidence of their skill in no small measure. While they did not take a winning position, Eddie Hynes was placed in both his heat and the half final, and again in the Final when he took the fourth place. Jan Scott did well also and came home fifth in each of his outings. Stan Ingle twice attempted to take to the track in Jan's car, but was excluded and therefore never had the chance to show his skills, and Trevor Frost was also disqualified when he spun a back marker on the straight, which is definitely "verboten" over the water. At the time Trevor was in second place, and moving up fast, so this was indeed rough on him. The Final of the afternoon was won by Willie Vullings, who had raced,the previous night at Wimbledon in the international meeting. Adrian Kleingeld was leading in this race until the seventh lap, when he lost control on the far bend, and was unable to regain his position.

Whilst we were not as successful at this meeting as we have been at others on the Continent, with more experience on the overseas raceways I'm sure our lads will prove that they are a force to be contended with.

In some respects, the Spedeworth party was made to feel really at home. The system of starting the races is the same as ours these days, a direct result of Jac van Claes' visits to this country. Also the programmee covers are identical and the programmes themselves contained no less than five photographs taken on, our raceways. A nice compliment to Les Eaton who has been responsible for the sport gaining popularity on the continent in no small measure. Another feature of the meeting which came as surprise to me, was the inclusion in the programme of the Marcella Varianos, who's high wire, and pole balancing act was as popular with the Continentals as it was over here. Another point I forgot to mention earlier, is that Jumbo Allan should watch out for his job, for who do you think acted as Starting Marshal for the big event? None other than Mr. Stock Car Les Eaton himself. Mavis, also played her part by presenting the Trophy to Adrian after his victory, and afterwards accompanied him on his lap of honour. Mavis at one time thought the driver would lose his way around the enormous raceway, but eventually returned to the stand in time for the remainder of the programme.

European Championship: 1st Adrian Kleingeld, 2nd ??, 3rd 68 Trevor Frost