21st March 1993, Wimbledon, London Championship
Report by Anne Sayell from Motoring News 7th April 1993

The Grand Prix Midget Formula made a clearly popular return to Wimbledon on March 21 for the first time since 1985. Conditions proved wet and therefore slippery, resulting in several spins. Marcus Retchless won the first two heats whilst the final and London Championship went to local driver John Weston.

No Driver Car No Driver Car
1 Harry Sayell VW 19 Stuart Haynes Arrow-BMC
3 Rod Pashley Dastle 30 David Hunt  
4 Alf Oldfield Dastle copy 35 Peter Hunt  
6 Ron Elliott Fireball 38 Dick Loseby Arrow-BMC
8 Eddy Ricketts Dastle 55 John Weston Arrow-BMC
10 Chris Fearn Citroen 77 Neil Clarke Arrow-BMC
11 Steve Piggins BMC 88 Keith Swift BMC
14 Marcus Retchless Arrow-BMC      

The cars started in graded order with Peter and David Hunt electing to start at the back of the field with newcomers Steve Piggins and Dick Loseby.

  55   1   35 30 11 38
3   6 10  

The first heat was lead away by Alf Oldfield in the Dastle with Harry Sayell worked his way through the field and moved into second on lap 13 behind Retchless who had made the most of his blue grade advantage to pull away from the rest of the field. However just three laps later Sayell's challenge ended abruptly when he was unable to avoid a spun car. This reinstated Oldfield briefly in second and Stuart Haynes in the VW third. As the flag dropped Retchless was some 3/4 lap clear, with Weston stealing second and Haynes third. Alf Oldfield took fourth from Steve Piggins and Rod Pashley.

8 11 38 14 19   55   1
4 88      

Oldfield, again the early leader, was chased hard by Retchless in third place, wah Sayell in fifth by lap four. Newcomer Richard Loseby in the ex-Haynes Arrow moved into third by lap 10 and despite a spin by Sayell the places remained the same at the flag. Retchless scored a less comfortable win, Sayell second, Loseby third with Haynes fourth and Weston fifth. Eddy Ricketts, back out in the Mk 18 Dastle, was sixth.

  30   55   1      
    88   6

The London Championship once again saw the early running from Sayell and Retchless with newcomer Steve Piggins, Ricketts and Haynes all in the fray. An aggressive move by Retchless on lap five on Piggins saw a locking of wheels and Retchless into fifth. Lap eight saw the demise of Sayell when he and Haynes collided whilst Ricketts held off Retchless in second place. Unable to get by the Topspec Dastle, Retchless finally locked wheels for the second time in the 20 lap event; this time forced to retire, leaving John Weston the lead. Ricketts limped on but faded on the line one lap to go. Trafalgar-sponsored Weston was a clear winner, Loseby and Piggins picking up runners-up trophies. Alf Oldfield was fourth ahead of Rod Pashley and Keith Swift.

The Midgets' next outing will be on the newly tarmaced Alwalton Raceway at Peterborough on April 11.


Marcus Retchless wins!

Chris Fern

Rod Pashley & Alf Oldfield at Wimbledon (race one)