13th September 1987 - Peterborough - European Championship & Derek Kisby Memorial
Report by Dave Cox from Motoring News

Basil Craske won the Verrolec European Championship at Peterborough on September 13 in magnificent style. Craske was never seriously challenged in a flag to flag victory, leading home fellow Brits Harry and John Lowe.

Grid positions for the 40 lap championship race were determined by lap times and Craske claimed pole position with a time of of 17.18s for the 550 yd track. Paul Sinclair was alongside Craske, World and defending European Champion Jan Schraets shared row two with H. Lowe while Graham Sinclair and J. Lowe were on row three of the 18 car grid. Craske rocketed off the line and proceeded to open up a gap in the early stages as a jostling pack fought over second place. P. Sinclair led the chase with H. Lowe, Schraets, J. Lowe, Willi Thissen, G. Sinclair, Anthony Brewer and Harry Sayell trading places all around the track. Thissen had problems with his brakes and pulled off while Schraets briefly held, third before he too retired. Craske was maintaining his cushion to P. Sinclair who now had H. Lowe challenging hard for second but J. Lowe was dropping back in fourth ahead of G. Sinclair and Sayell. Before long, Craske's lead was now slowly being eroded by the hectic battle for second, H. Lowe eventually passing P. Sinclair at three-quarter distance. The unfortunate Sinclair retired with three laps to run and Craske took the chequered flag a few lengths clear of H. Lowe with J Lowe third ahead of G. Sinclair, Sayell and Paul Rodgers.

The 20 lap Derek Kisby Memorial was the main supporting race with Craske an early casually when a driveshaft broke on the line. Rodgers set the pace until Brewer went by with H. Lowe in hot pursuit, H. Lowe passing Brewer on lap nine only to spin it all away and put Brewer back in front. P. Sinclair, Schraets and J. Lowe overtook Rodgers and were closing on Brewer when P. Sinclair's suspension broke, pitching him into the armco, the driver sustaining cuts and bruises to his legs. Schraets retired leaving J. Lowe and Rodgers battling over second. Rodgers repasslng John on the last lap. Brewer won comfortably from Rodgers, J. Lowe, David Wesbroom, G. Sinclair and Eddy Ricketts.

The final 15 lap thrash saw Rodgers leading for 12 laps, challenged hard by Sayell and Brewer. H. Lowe and Craske led the charge from the red grade, the former briefly leading before Craske powered by to win. H. Lowe was second from Rodgers, Sayell, Schraets and Brewer.